John Bentz was my maternal 2x great-grandfather. There is still so little that I have been able to discover about John or Johan.
John was reportedly born in Weiler-la-Tour, Luxembourg in 1821 to Wilhelm Bentz and Maria Petesch Bentz.
- I have been unable to find John’s Naturalization paperwork or locate the ship he and his family traveled in to come to the Untied States. This will definitely take further research and access to records in Luxembourg.
- John, Mary and family were in Luxembourg in 1862 for the birth of Catherine but in Iowa by 1863 for Nicholas’ birth. They must have come directly to Iowa upon their arrival in the United States. Were they following other family members or someone they knew from their home town?
- Learning about the history of the towns and the area adds a lot to the story of John and his family.
- I wonder if John was a farmer in Luxembourg?
- I wonder why John stopped farming and turned to ‘day labor’ work?
- Wish I could find a picture of John and family.