(Click on any image to enlarge)
What I know about my 4x great-grandfather:
- James was born 26 April 1762 in Jamesport, Suffolk County, NY.
- From the book A History of Mattituck, Long Island, N.Y. (page 274) I know that James, son of Daniel and Hannah Petty Warner, was baptized on 12 January 1769.
- James married Glorianna/Anna Edwards in 1783.
- They had 5 children-Daniel (my 3x great-grandfather), James, Hannah, Sarah and Elisabeth.
- James moved from Jamesport to Baiting Hollow, NY (a distance of about 10 miles) around 1780.
- James died 30 September 1803 at the age of 41 in Baiting Hollow, N. Y. and is buried there in the Baiting Hollow Cemetery.
I noted several things as I read James’ will:
- He left his property and goods equally to his sons Daniel and James.
- He left each of his daughters a good amount of money and left them each the same amount of money. $250.00 in 1801 would be valued at about $4,810.00 today.
- His wife was listed as an Executrix but was left nothing in his will.
- His eldest son was listed as one Executor and I’m guessing since he was only 17 James also listed his brother Daniel as an Executor also.
For 5 generations, about 130+ years my ancestors lived in Baiting Hollow, NY and I grew up only about 6 miles away.
I would appreciate any additional information or corrections you may have.
Enjoy the journey,