One of the photos I brought to review with Maureen was this photo;
What I know;
My Dad’s cousin Geri sent me a copy of this photo and said she believed it was either the father or one of the brothers of my paternal Great Grandmother Sarah Rowan King.
One of the important things Maureen talked about was the research on the people you think may be in the photo. When and where did they live? What did they do as a profession? What do you know about them?
I know that Sarah’s father was John William Rowan who was born in 1846, reportedly in Troy, ?. John died in 1897 in Brooklyn, NY.
Sarah had 2 brothers that lived to adulthood-Joseph and William.
- Joseph Valentine Rowan was born in 1871, reportedly in Pennsylvania and died in 1940 (at the age of 69) in Brooklyn, NY. He married his wife Irene Tehune in 1899. Irene passed away in 1932. They had 2 children Emily (b. 1901) and John (b. 1902). Joseph was by trade an Engineer in Construction work according to his death certificate.
- William Rowan was born in 1872, reportedly in Pennsylvania. I believe he died in 1901 (at the age of 29) in Bronx, NY. William was a butcher according to his death certificate found on line. (waiting for a copy of the original). I have not been able to find any information yet on his wife or any children but I know he was married.
- Unfortunately I have no information on the photographer but I am guessing the picture was taken in Brooklyn, NY.
- Based on the year of the picture that would narrow down the list of possible men to Joseph Rowan since Sarah’s father John and brother William had already passed away by then.
- I would guess the man in the photo is in his 50s maybe 60s?? Joseph would have been 54 in 1925.