Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Tombstone Tuesday-Margaret Hamman (Hammond) Shove

Shove Hammon Margaret gravestone
Mt Hope Cemetery San Diego
Until about 6 months ago I really knew nothing about my Great Aunt Margaret (Maggie) Hamman Shove.  I’m not even sure I knew my grandfather James Jacob Hammond had a sister named Maggie.
In April I found out that my grandfather (James Jacob) had 2 sisters-Margaret and Mary and 3 brothers- Arthur (John), Michael and Joseph Hamman all  born in Remsen, Iowa to Henry Hamman and Suzie Bentz Hamman.  Their mother Suza died in 1908 when the oldest Mary was 10 and the youngest Michael was barely a year old.
1905 Iowa Census highlight
I can find most of the siblings except for Margaret in an orphanage in Dubuque, Iowa in 1910.
In 1915 I find Aunt Maggie living in Meadow, Plymouth, Iowa.
I believe Frank Shove and Margaret Hammond were married about 1920.
In 1930 I find Margaret and Frank Shove in Cherokee, Iowa with daughters Betty June and Delores.
In 1934, when my grandparents, James Jacob Hammond and Edna Mae Cornell were married in Spencer, NY,  I know that Mrs. Frank Shove of Cherokee, Iowa attended and signed the Guest Book.
In 1966 Margaret passed away in San Diego, CA.  She was buried in Mt. Hope, San Diego and was 65 years old.
Shove Margaret death notice 1966
I find it interesting that whoever gave the above information for the Death Notice did not mention or possibly know of my Grandfather who was still alive and living in Van Etten, NY.
I have not been able to locate the children of Frank and Margaret’s daughters yet.  I know that Betty June Shove Goodburn passed away in 2015 leaving 2 children and 8 grandchildren.  Delores Reiter passed away before 2015.
If you have any corrections or additions or stories to share I look forward to hearing them.
Enjoy the journey,
Debby

No comments:

Post a Comment