Sunday, October 30, 2016

Who was Louis Arthur King

My paternal great-great grandfather was Louis Arthur King.  I thought I’d take a look at the information I have and what additional information I can find on him.


What I know about Louis:
  • Louis Arthur King was born about 1843 in Brooklyn, NY to Jacob and Mary King. 
  • Louis had a brother Jacob born about 1836 who married
  • Louis had a sister named Caroline born about 1847.

According to the 1850 census, Louis, his siblings and parents were living in Ward 6 in Brooklyn.


Louis’ father Jacob died between 1850-1860.


According to the 1860 census, Louis was still living at home and his occupation was listed at the age of 18 as a Laborer.  He and brother Jacob and sister Caroline were all living with their grandmother Mary King who was widowed in Ward 12 in Brooklyn, NY.


According to the 1870 census, Louis was still living with his brother Jacob and his grandmother Mary still in Ward 12 Brooklyn, NY.  Louis’ occupation was listed as Engineer.


Louis married Sarah Maria Barry on 25 December 1870 in Brooklyn, NY.  It looks like Louis and Sarah each signed their license with an X.  Louis was listed as an Engineer.


Louis and Sarah had 6 children:
  • Sarah E. is believed to have married Alexander Shaw ?
  • Louis Arthur – not sure he ever married
  • George Washington King (my great grandfather) who married Sarah A. Rowan.
  • Walter- not sure he ever married
  • Katie – possibly married Sidney Hunn ?
According to the 1880 census, Louis, Sarah and 4 of their children were listed as ‘boarders’ on the 2nd floor at the home of Sarah’s parents Ebenezer and Catherine (Bolen) Barry in Brooklyn.  Louis occupation was listed as the Captain Dredging Machine.


I found the following picture from an 1880 dredging machine that was used for the Suez Canal.  Perhaps the one that Louis was Captain of was similar.
Image result for 1880 dredging machine


Louis died at the age of 47 on 8 May 1890 of Bronchitis and Acute Phthisis (Tuberculosis).  His wife Sarah lived until 1926. They are both buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY.


I wish I was able to find out more about Louis then the dates based on the census records.  I wonder if the Brooklyn Historical Society may have more information about the type of job/career that Louis had on the water.  I would like to learn more about the actual work that Louis did.


If you have any corrections or additions or stories to share I look forward to hearing them.
 
Enjoy the journey,
Debby

No comments:

Post a Comment