Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Advantages of Public On-Line Family Trees-Carrie’s Letters

Several times now I have searched public on-line trees to look for answers and/or suggestions when I have hit a brick wall.  I am always happy to find a tree that has that one little extra bit of info that I didn’t have that can help me solve a new dilemma or just find new cousins. 

Several years ago when I was researching people mentioned by my great-grandmother, Carrie Terry Warner, in her letters (see Carrie’s Letters-Snow Days, Carrie’s Letters-Bringing Ancestral Letters to Life) she wrote over the course of 30 years mainly to her sister Ella Terry Billard I sometimes referred to on-line trees to match up names.  My great-grandmother’s surviving brother in 1892 was Forrest E. Terry.  One of my goals was to try and find the children/grandchildren of Ella and Forrest and try to obtain pictures of them to include with the letters.  While on my search I happened to find a family tree done by Forrest’s granddaughter Theresa.  Over the last several years Theresa and I have been able to correspond and share information about our common ancestors.  It was very interesting to know that Theresa knew nothing about her grandfather having a sister named Carrie.  Forrest was about 34 years old when my great-grandmother suddenly died.  I’m not sure why but I am guessing that since Carrie’s death was considered so tragic and that my grandfather’s family lived several towns over it was a subject that just wasn’t talked about.

I have been happy to share letters about and to Forrest with Theresa.  This helps give us both a little more information about her grandfather’s early years.  This following is a letter that Carrie wrote to her brother Forrest in the Spring of 1892 when Forrest was 16 years old.  Carrie was a teacher before getting married and I can see the ‘teacher’ and caring older sister talking in this letter.  John is Carrie’s husband, Terry and Wesley are her sons.  Lucy, I believe, is hired help for Carrie in the household.


Forrest letter 1
Forrest letter 2

Two weeks ago I had the privilege of getting to meet Theresa and her husband Dale while on vacation in Florida to spend some time with my mother.  We had a wonderful several hours together sharing stories, lunch and pictures.  As I left Theresa said that she felt like we’d always known each other and hadn’t just met that day.  I definitely felt the same!  What a wonderful experience!! I am so glad she had a public family tree on-line for me to find. 

Now I just need to connect with Ella’s great-granddaughter.  Hopefully, one day all 3 of us can get together to honor our 3 ancestors….

I would enjoy hearing any stories or information you have to share.

Enjoy the journey,
Debby

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your letters from Carrie and the Warner family.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dottie! And great to know that my great-grandfather got his colt from your grandfather :)

    ReplyDelete