I wondered if perhaps Ann and Michael were siblings? Were the two small children another brother’s children?
- I know ‘Biddy’ may have been the nickname for Bridget.
- Patrick Meenan with a birth year of 1833 Ireland dying in Flint, Michigan in 1893, ironically with a mother Ann Meenan and father Francis Meenan.
- Patrick Meenan living in Philadelphia in 1870 with a birth about 1833 Ireland. He was living with his wife Ann and children Michael, A. Rose, Mary and Emma.
- Patrick Meenan serving in the Civil War enlisting in Philadelphia February 1864.
- Patrick Meenan death notice in Philadelphia on 6 May 1897
- Bridget Meenan listed in the Philadelphia City Directory in 1890, 1893
- Bridget Meenan dying at the age of 34 in August 1897
There are many ‘Michael Meenan’ that could possibly be the one who was on the ship manifest with Ann and the children but no definitive connection to Ann, Biddy or Patrick.
Was ‘Meenan’ Ann’s married name? Was she really a ‘widow’ and came with Biddy and Patrick, her children? There is no reference to them being with Ann after she married William Rowan in the 1840s. Were these children even ‘Meenan’ children or someone else’s children that Ann brought to America for them? I still have no idea if these 4 people are related. I believe they are but I have been unable to prove it…so far. I believe the children came over with Ann and she probably delivered them to one of her brothers but who they were and where they were, I don’t know yet.
Sometimes the search just doesn’t resolve anything but leave you with even more questions. Perhaps one day I will find the answers to my many questions and know who Biddy, Patrick and Michael are.
If you have any corrections, additions or stories to share I look forward to hearing them.
Enjoy the journey,