Sunday, July 7, 2019

Sunday Obituary - Catherine King Lewis

Before locating the following obituary I knew that Catherine, my paternal 2nd great-great aunt, was the first known child of Theodore and Mary King.  (Theodore and Mary King are my paternal 3rd great-grandparents.) 
  • I had conflicting birthplaces for Catherine, born about 1835, and her brother Jacob born about 1836-7.  According to some census records they were born in Pennsylvania and others stated New York. 
  • I can track Theodore and Mary to Brooklyn, New York by 1843 when my 2nd great-grandfather Louis was born there. 
  • Catherine’s siblings were Jacob and Louis King, Mary King ?, and Caroline King ?.  Did her sisters marry?
  • I knew that according to the census for 1850 Theodore was born in Germany and Mary was also born in Germany.  Other census records have Mary born in Pennsylvania. 
  • Did Theodore and Mary come to the United States together or meet in Pennsylvania?  And where in Pennsylvania?  I also knew that Catherine married Daniel Lewis, Jr. about 1853 and they continued to live in Brooklyn, New York.
Would finding this obituary give me any answers?


found on Newspapers.com originally from the newspaper The Brooklyn Daily Eagle 9 Jul 1927 page 2

Transcription:

Mrs. Lewis, 98, Oldest 12th Ward Resident, Dies
     Mrs. Catherine Lewis, 98 years old, oldest resident of the 12th Ward, where she lived for 92 years, died Wednesday at her home, 25 Wolcott St., after a long illness.  She was the widow of Capt. Daniel Lewis, a marine pilot. 
     Mrs. Lewis was born in Lancaster, Pa., and came to Brooklyn as a girl.  She was for 60 years a member of Christ Chapel Church.  she is survived by a daughter, Catherine; a sister, Mrs. Caroline Gill; a granddaughter, Mrs. Harry Cottam; six great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.
     The funeral service will be held at her late home tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o’clock with the Rev. Jeffrey Jennings officiating.  The internment will be in Greenwood Cemetery.



Some thoughts:
  • How amazing that Catherine lived to 98 years of age and that she was the oldest resident of the 12th Ward at the time of her death!
  • I realized as I was writing this post that 92 years ago yesterday was the anniversary of Catherine’s death. 
  • Wow! Catherine was born in Lancaster, Pa.  Theodore and Mary were there before moving to Brooklyn.  Now I have verification that Catherine WAS born in PA and the location of Lancaster.  I can look for records of early Lancaster to see if I can find her baptismal record and perhaps some additional information on Mary and Theodore while there.  It also seems very reasonable that Catherine’s brother Jacob was also born in Lancaster.
  • I now know that Caroline outlived her sister and that her married name was ‘Gill’.
  • I know that Louis died in 1890 as did their mother Mary.  I have not been able to identify death dates for Jacob or Mary.  Both must have died before Catherine did in 1927.
  • The church that Catherine was a member of for 60 years “Christ Chapel” is the same church that her brother, my great-great grandfather Louis and his wife Sarah were married in.  (See post entitled A Christmas Wedding.)
  • My grandmother Agnes King was born in 1902 and raised in Brooklyn.  I wonder if she knew her great-great Aunt Catherine and ever visited with her and Catherine’s children?  Can I find any descendants who might have pictures or stories?
If you have any corrections, additions or stories to share I look forward to hearing them.
Enjoy the journey,
Debby





No comments:

Post a Comment