Monday, March 27, 2017

Amanuensis Monday-Will of Caroline F. Overton Robinson

Yesterday I completed a blog post with information I learned about my paternal 3x Great-Grandmother Caroline F. Overton Robinson.  (see post Caroline Overton Robinson) .  I found Caroline’s Will was at the Surrogate’s Court in Riverhead, Suffolk County, New York.  The Will was only available on Microfilm and the only copy I was able to print was of poor quality.  I had to read the screen and write over the copy in order to be able to read all the information.  I’m so glad I did this because as I try to read the Will now when I’m back in California….ugh!!  The following is Caroline’s Will:

Robinson Caroline Overton 1883 will original - Copy
Probate Record including Will (page 501)  located in Record of Wills Book 33 pages 499-503

Transcription: 
                                                                                                 Will
In the Name of God, Amen. I, Caroline T. Robinson of the town of Riverhead, County of Suffolk and in the state of New York, being of sound mind and memory, and considering the uncertainty of this frail and transitory life, do therefore make, ordain and publish and declare this to be my last will and testament, that is to say
First. After all my lawful debts are paid and discharged, I give and bequeath to my beloved son Barney O. Robinson one hundred Dollars ($100).
2nd. I give devise and bequeath to my grandson Forrest E. Terry, son of Gilbert and Almeda Terry of the town of Southold and County afore said fifty Dollars ($50).
3rd. I give devise and bequeath to my beloved son Arthur M. Robinson one hundred Dollars ($100).
4th. I give devise and bequeath to my beloved daughter Carrie E. Robinson all the rest and remainder of both personal and real property of every name and description.
Likewise, I make constitute and appoint my son George W. Robinson, of Mattituck, town of Southold, County of Suffolk to be Executor of this my last Will and Testament, hereby revoking all former Wills by me made.
In Witness Whereof. I have hereunto subscribed my name and affixed my seal, the eleventh day of May, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty three.
                                                                                                         Caroline F. Robinson                 L.S.







Caroline’s Will was proved in Surrogate’s Court, Riverhead, Suffolk County, NY on 12 July 1897.

I find it interesting the people that Caroline left money to in her will.  She had more children and lots of grandchildren.  I wonder why she chose the ones she did?  (I have a copy of Stephen’s will and need to work on that one.)  I believe that daughter Carrie was the only unmarried child at the time of Caroline’s death.  Leaving her the remainder of her property and personal affects does make sense.  I think perhaps the family farm was sold before Stephen died and then Caroline must have lived with some of her children until her death.


If you have any corrections or additions or stories to share I look forward to hearing them.
Enjoy the journey,
Debby

No comments:

Post a Comment