Sunday, September 25, 2016

Searching for Nettie Emily Coolbaugh Cornell

I thought I’d look at what information I have gathered for my maternal Great Grandmother, Nettie Coolbaugh Cornell.  What do I know about Nettie and what do I still want to find out?
Cornell Nettie Coolbaugh photo

Nettie is the daughter of Civil War Veteran Portis M. Coolbaugh and Harriett H. Browning Coolbaugh.  As best as I can figure out Nettie was born in August 1881 in Athens, Bradford County, Pennsylvania.

The following is from the collection entitled North America, Family Histories, 1500-2000 Daughters of the American Revolution Lineage Book Vol 303.  This collection reports that ‘'The Coolbaugh family in America, from their earliest appearance at New Amsterdam, 1686-1938”.
image


According to the New York State Census of 18 February 1892 I find Nettie and her family living in the Fourth Election District in the town of Barton, Tioga County, New York.
Coolbaugh 1892 highlighted


I find Nettie and William on 1 June 1900 according to the US Federal Census living in Hector Village in Schuyler County, New York.  She can read, write and speak English.  Nettie and William Cornell have been married for 1 year. 
1900 census highlighted
 
According to the US Federal Census on 20 April 1910 Nettie and William are living in Genoa, Cayuga County, New York.  Along with children Earl, Earnest, Gertrude Arthur & Bessie.  Nettie parents-Portis and Harriett Browning Coolbaugh are also living with them.
1910 census highlighted

According to the US Federal Census on 8 January 1920 census  Nettie, William and children Arthur, Bessie, Earl, Ernest and my grandmother Edna were living in Spencer, Tioga County, New York.  They appear to be living next door to William’s mother Charlotte.  Nettie was working as a Servant for a Private Family.
Nettie 1920 census highlighted

image
Looking at a map helped me realize that while Nettie moved a lot it was still within a relatively close area.

Nettie and William had 5 children:
  • Earl J. Cornell born 1901
  • Ernest G. Cornell born 1903
  • Gertrude B. Cornell born 1904
  • Arthur B. Cornell born 1906
  • Bessie E. Cornell born 1908
  • Edna Mae Chloe Cornell (my grandmother) born 1915
I found a U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 for Netta Cornell which listed William and my grandmother Edna Cornell Hammond.  I wonder if this is because my grandmother was only 10 years old when her mother Nettie died.
Nettie died 19 February 1925, possibly in Spencer, Tioga, NY?  However, 3 months later in June I find the family in Ithaca, NY.

In the NY State Census on 1 June 1925  William and the children are living in Ithaca, Tompkins County, New York.  I have been unable to locate her grave.  Her husband William is buried at Inlet Valley Cemetery in Ithaca, NY. according to his obituary.  Find A Grave has no record of him at Inlet Valley Cemetery. 

Definitely more research needed.  I have been unable online to locate a death certificate for Nettie or a birth certificate.  I will need to make calls to Tioga and Tompkins County NY Clerk’s office to see what I can find.
If you have any corrections or additions or stories to share I look forward to hearing them.
 
Enjoy the journey,
Debby

No comments:

Post a Comment