Sunday, April 30, 2017

Eleanor Howell Warner

When I was growing up there were times when I would go for Sunday afternoon rides with my paternal grandparents Agnes and Olin Warner.  I remember one time when we wound up at the Baiting Hollow Cemetery.  I walked around with my Grandfather and he pointed out various stones and told me who people were and how we were related.  (Oh, how I wish I’d written things down but I was probably about 10-12 years old.)  I remember him showing me his grandparents graves and saying how Daniel so missed his wife Eleanor when she died that he died about 6 months later.  I remember him telling me that Daniel needed a pulley system at the end to help him get out of his chair. 

What do I know about Eleanor:
Eleanor (Howell) Warner photo (2)
Eleanor Howell Warner

My paternal great-great grandmother Eleanor Howell Warner was born 15 May 1825 to Jemima Luce Howell and Daniel Howell in Baiting Hollow, Suffolk, New York.
At the age of 17 years old Eleanor married Daniel Warner, also of Baiting Hollow, on 19 October 1841. 


Warner Daniel Eleanor 1841 marriage Bible
This is from Eleanor’s Bible.  I wonder if this is her handwriting?

Eleanor and Daniel (see post) had 13 children: Allen Monroe, Francis Maria, Josephine Amelia, Martha Rosalie(see blog post), Eunice Elizabeth, Mary Agnes, Julia Howell, Waldo Daniel, Charles Henry, Eleanor Blanche, John Benjamin, Eugene Goldsmith, and Franklin Everett.  All lived to adulthood and married except Josephine who died at age 2 and Julia who died at age 18.

Justine Warner Wells, great grand-daughter of Daniel & Eleanor, reported in her book The Descendants of Daniel Jr. & Eleanor Howell Warner of Baiting Hollow LI, NY and the Warner Ancestors in England and America “The home that the Warners occupied and in which THE 13 may have all been born was situated on the North Road, the main route passing by fertile fields and farmhouses.  Likely built by Daniel himself, with the help of neighbors and relatives; it was a simple three-bay home with a half-house extension to the side.  The central chimney, a handsome doorway and under-eave trim add a touch of beauty to the structure.  It still stands, moved twice, now on Osborn Ave. 1/2 mile from its original site.”

Eleanor died at the age of 69 years old on 7 March 1895.  She was married for 54 years to Daniel who died 3 months after her.


Warner Eleanor Howell 1895 death notice
from the Riverhead News dated 7 March 1895
Summary:
  • I hope to one day be able to actually see Eleanor’s Bible in person.
  • I wish I could find more pictures of Eleanor. 
  • I have been in the house that was believed to be their home.
  • I believe the teapot in Sentimental Sunday-The Teapot (see post) probably belonged to Eleanor either as a Wedding gift or purchased when she set up her own home.                       
                                          This May 15th is the 192nd Anniversary of Eleanor’s birth.  Happy Birthday!!
old fasioned flower bouquet

If you have any corrections or additions or stories to share I look forward to hearing them.
Enjoy the journey,
Debby


2 comments:

  1. You Stories make me want to go back to New York with you and wander through all these places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Diane. I always think I only have a bit or piece about a person and somehow it all comes together and I find out I have more than I thought.

    ReplyDelete