Monday, December 31, 2018

‘General Society of Mayflower Descendants’ Success!!

Mayflower certificate 2018
Well, my research skills have paid off and I was able to prove my ancestry lineage for the General Society of Mayflower Descendants!  Last year I was able to prove the lineage to the Alden Kindred Society.  (See post It’s Official!!  I Proved it!)

I never knew anything growing up of my Mayflower heritage.  In the early 1990s while visiting my maternal Grandmother in upstate New York I asked about local cemeteries.  When she realized my interest in genealogy she told me about a Minister who had stopped by once a few years before to ask her questions about her parents, etc.  She showed me a large envelope that had arrived with information.  I asked to take it and look at that evening.  While reviewing the paperwork I realized a lineage back to John and Priscilla Alden of the Mayflower.  Imagine my excitement!  A determination began in me to either prove of disprove the information I had found.

In 1995 I took my son and friend’s two daughters to visit the replica of the Mayflower, Plimoth Plantation and the John Alden Historic Site in Duxbury.  How exciting to retrace my ancestors’ steps and know where they had lived.  It has taken me over 25 years to find the time to do the actual research but I have finally proven it for the Alden Kindred of America and now Mayflower Society.  At times it was very frustrating trying to find the records necessary as well as an exercise in patience, but I did it!!
Mayflower ship 1995 Mayflower 1995 kids
Plymouth Rock 1995 Plymouth plantation 1995
In the Plimoth Plantation picture on the lower right above the replica of the Alden home is the first house on the left.

Verifying this lineage, and in the process knowing more about my ancestors and how they lived, is a wonderful accomplishment and a great way to end the year!  A special thank-you to the Minister who spoke with my grandmother and that copies of the paperwork made it’s way into my hands to research.

If you have any corrections, additions or stories to share I look forward to hearing them.
Enjoy the journey,
Debby


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I've put off doing this. Now it's probably too late for 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think so Randy? I would sure like to try for 2020. Not even sure I could prove it, but hopeful.

      Delete
    2. Thank-you Randy! It's worth a try. I sure want to be in Plimoth for 2020.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Diane! I will be glad to help. I think you can do it!

      Delete
  2. Most likely it is. I don't recall my first two applications taking this long. My John Alden supplemental has been taking well over a year. Still take heart, put your app in regardless at least it will be in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you and CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I have a distant cousin who has joined through William Bradford ( a line we share). Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete